Your adventure into the professional levels of recreational diving begins with the PADI Divemaster program. Here at Costa Rica Dive and Surf you will be working closely with a PADI instructor, expanding your dive knowledge and working on your skills to the professional level. PADI Divemaster training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assisting instructors with student divers.
During the PADI Divemaster program, you learn dive leadership skills through both classroom and independent study.
You complete water skills and stamina exercises, as well as training exercises that stretch your ability to organize and solve problems.
You will be shadowing instructors as you learn how to become an instructional assistant and work effectively on the whole range of PADI programs.
We also include a dive operations program throughout your course where you can learn valuable skills, including compressor operations, equipment maintenance and sales techniques.
To further your skills even more, we now also include a FREE PADI specialty for all our divemasters in training. You will be doing your dives for the Divemaster in Ballena National Park and Caño Island National Park.
There are 2 training options to develop and apply your divemaster skills under the supervision of our PADI instructors.
Divemaster Internship Course
Put your knowledge into action through an internship, assisting PADI instructors with real students on PADI courses, assisting Divemasters in leading dives and learning the workings of a dive shop. You may enter this course option with a minimum of 40 dives; the course will last 3-6 weeks. Remember you can also upgrade your PADI Divemaster to our Adventure Guide
Divemaster Practical Training Course
If you have plenty of diving experience and enter the DM course with 60 dives or more, the practical training option is a good option. Once you have completed your theory, water skills, stamina and training exercises, you can gain the practical experience though simulated assisting and supervisory roles. This means your DM course can be completed in 2 weeks.
General Divemaster course information:
- Knowledge Development: 12 topics ranging from dive theory to assisting student divers in training.
- Prerequisites: PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization), PADI Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization), Current Primary and Secondary Care Certification, 18 years old.
- Minimum Number of Logged Dives: 40 to start the course and 60 for certification as PADI Divemaster. (If you do not have minimum numer of dives to start the course, don’t worry. We have special dive student packages, contact us for more details.)
Required materials (not included in course price, but can be purchased at Costa Rica Dive and Surf):
- PADI Divemaster Manual
- Recreational Dive Planner (RDP) – (Table and eRDPml)
- The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
- PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook
- PADI Divemaster Slates
- PADI Instructor Manual